Fashion & Sewing Mentor
Reports To: Boys & Girls Club’s Senior Site Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Work Schedule: Part-time 20 hours per week with a flexible schedule three days per week during Club operating hours
During COVID: 1 – 7 p.m. Monday – Friday; summer: 12 – 6 p.m. Monday – Friday
Job Description Summary:
Under general supervision of the Club’s senior site manager, the fashion & sewing mentor will design and implement a rich program focused on youth-designed fashion and costuming, technical illustration, draping, pattern-making, construction, sewing and computer-aided design. Programming must incorporate youth voice, hold youth to high expectations, provide hands-on skill building with current, professional technology, engage key stakeholders and culminate with high-profile public events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide arts instruction to youth ages 10 and up
- Establish and maintain, in collaboration with youth, an environment of physical and emotional safety based on respect at all levels.
- Implement fashion design programming through the 10 Success Principles maintaining the integrity of each Principle as detailed in the Something to Say research report.
- Provide hands-on, experiential learning through fashion design based upon results of Club implemented youth surveys and focus groups.
- Lead 6-week arts programming blocks throughout the year: Two in the fall semester, two in the spring semester, and two-week camps in the summer.
- Each program session should consist of skill development classes at least twice a week for two hours and at least one 3-hour open studio time.
- In collaboration with youth artists and supported by other Club staff, organize and implement at least three high profile public culminating events for programs.
- Adhere to all requested program evaluation and documentation protocol detailed by Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Minnesota, BGCA and Research for Action Evaluation Consultants (RFA).
Develop and deliver high quality fashion & sewing program
- Provide youth participants skills and guidance for designing their own unique fashion centered on relevant issues in which they are personally interested.
- Design and facilitate skill development and open studio classes for ALL skill levels (non-designers, beginner, intermediate and advanced designers).
- Establish and maintain a physically and emotionally safe space for young designers to create.
- Include training in fashion/costuming by providing a fundamental grounding in creative design, technical illustration, draping, pattern-making, construction and sewing, computer-aided design, and build entrepreneurship skills.
- Lead skill development/open studio time, time for peer to peer learning.
- Expose youth to diverse styles and culture surrounding fashion design.
- Educate young designers about technology and equipment, responsible usage and the studio space.
Serve as a Part-Time Club Staff, Youth Mentor and Youth Arts Initiative Team Member
- Participate in all required and recommended Club trainings and staff meetings.
- Serve as an adult mentor to all Club youth.
- Serve as a champion for high quality arts making and lead professional development workshops/trainings in the arts and the 10 Success Principles for other Club staff across the organization.
- Actively collaborate, provide support and resources to the Youth Arts Initiative team, board members and other organizational leadership.
- Actively participate in all required site visits, conference calls, group trainings, meetings and professional development opportunities detailed by Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Minnesota, BGCA, RFA and members of the Wallace Foundation. Some travel will be required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates commitment and dedication to fashion/costuming.
- Demonstrated ability to work with youth in a Boys & Girls Club environment.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to build community partnerships to support the program.
Education and Work Experience
Education Bachelor’s degree in fine arts, specifically related to fashion; or equivalent experience
Learn more about the Youth Arts Initiative.