Now hiring difference makers! Cook
Use your skills in Food Management as a Cook with the Boys & Girls Club! Prepare and serve youth nutritional meals and snacks to nourish Club members and keep them healthfully fulfilled.
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Assists in the preparation and serving of food in the cafeteria, using safe food handling and storage practices; maintains food service facilities and equipment in a sanitary condition; organizes, cleans, and records data/compiles reports, as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares and cooks/bakes foods for meals and snacks.
- Washes pots, pans, dishes and utensils and tidies cooking area.
- Maintains a safe food preparation area following local, state and federal guidelines.
The assignment of these additional duties will be dependent on the length of the shift:
- Maintains accurate records for the food program.
- Assists in serving meals to youth in appropriate portions.
- Assists in creating menus for the program.
- Cleans and sanitizes work area to Health Department standards and disposes of refuse.
- Checks inventory levels and recommend items needing to be ordered.
- As appropriate to the site, will provide guidance to youth cleaning crew to ensure cleaning is done correctly.
- Other duties, as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
- Knowledge of methods of safely preparing, cooking, serving, and storing food.
- Knowledge of the uses of kitchen utensils and equipment and their operation thereof.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with other staff.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to prepare various foods.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to interact with the children and youth in a manner that clearly conveys warm regard, respect, and care.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Successfully complete Food Management Certification class and become Food Management Certified.
- Maintain Food Management Certification.
EDUCATION and WORK EXPERIENCE
Education: High school diploma or equivalent experience advanced training in cooking preparation/safety highly desired. Sufficient education to assure the ability to read and write at the level required for successful job performance.
Experience: Minimum 2 months of experience cooking for others on a regular basis. One to three months of experience working with children and/or youth. Experience in quantity food preparation and kitchen maintenance.
FUNDAMENTAL RELATIONSHIPS: Has daily contact with Senior Site Manager and/or Site Manager to receive/provide information. May interact with Club members and other Club staff at the site. Maintains positive relations with members and staff at all times.
Visual: Normal acuity required daily for making color distinction, read labels, instructions, recipes, and other printed matter, with or without vision aids; normal depth of sight.
Communication: Able to express thoughts and ideas in an accurate and understandable manner through verbal and written format. Facility to hear and understand speech at normal room levels to exchange information, and to hear and understand speech on the telephone. Facility to speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in normal conversations and on the telephone.
Movement: Ability to stand and walk in work site for full shift. Ability to frequently bend, squat and turn. Ability to reach overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally, to store and retrieve food, kitchen equipment and supplies.
Lifting/Pulling/Pushing/Carrying: Ability to comfortably lift, push, pull, and manipulate up to 25 lbs of weight frequently during shift and up to 60 lbs of weight occasionally during shift. Ability to lift up to 25 lbs of weight to shoulder height.
- Potential contact with cleaning agents, temperature extremes, and heat from ovens, grills and stoves.
- Exposure to very hot foods, equipment and metal objects used in cooking and baking.
- Exposure to sharp knives.