Boys & Girls Club Hosts Healthy Smiles Healthy Kids Day, Sponsored by Delta Dental of Minnesota
Special thanks to Delta Dental for making Healthy Smiles Healthy Kids Day possible!
Kids and staff at the Roosevelt Boys & Girls Club celebrated Delta Dental Healthy Smiles/Healthy Kids Day on March 9, 2016, from 2 – 3:30 p.m. Volunteers from Girl Scouts, Health For Life, Central MN Sexual Assault Center and Text for Life added to the fun throughout the afternoon.
Throughout the afternoon, more than 100 Club members from Eastside, Roosevelt and Southside joined together for a health fair focusing on oral hygiene.
All participants received a new tooth brush, tooth paste and other fun goodies, compliments of Delta Dental of Minnesota.
Thanks in part to a $10,000 grant from Delta Dental of Minnesota, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Minnesota has been able to provide a comprehensive nutrition program called Project Healthy Smiles/Healthy Kids, designed to bring excellent dental hygiene and life habits to our community’s youth. The program has five primary components:
- Cavity Free Zone – to teach kids the importance of healthy dental hygiene habits
- Daily Meal Program – to teach kids the importance of proper nutrition and its connection to healthy dental hygiene
- Health & Life Skills programs – to prevent the use of tobacco, alcohol, drugs and poor dietary choices, which affect oral health as well
- Parental Involvement – to encourage parents to reinforce healthy habits at home
- Incentives – to recognize kids for their participation and application of learned healthy habits
Other major contributors to these programs include: the City of St. Cloud, Otto Bremer Foundation, Second Harvest Heartland Food Bank, GNP Company, local service clubs and individual donors.